If you’re traveling international your baby will need his or her own passport. Taking the perfect baby passport photo can be a bit tricky, especially getting your baby to stay still for a passport photo. For infants (under four months) it is easier to take the photo yourself. Photo regulations can be tough so it is important to know the baby passport photo requirements and what you need to do to achieve them.It
When I took my daughters photo she was just 7 weeks old. Here are a few tips and tricks to take the perfect baby passport photo at home.
Good To Know
When applying for a passport for children under 16, applicants must apply in person, the child must be present, and the passport is only valid for 5 years. It is important to remember each country has their own regulations and requirements, so do your research before.
What you will Need
- Your Baby
- Plain background. Use a plain white sheet or blanket- No Textures
- Natural Lighting
Steps for getting that “Perfect” Shot
- Download a passport photo app and select your country. This will help you frame the shot to meet the photo size requirements.
- Because of my daughters young age we had a certain awake window to work with. The best time to attempt your baby’s passport photo is right after a feed (if you use the EASY routine) or when they are in a cheerful mood.
- Choose a space with good natural lighting.
- If your baby isn’t sitting up properly it is best to lay your baby down on a plain sheet or blanket with a white or off white background.
- Dress him or her in a neutral color top.
- Ensure baby is looking straight at the camera with both eyes open and mouth closed. A neutral expression is best. Use a toy that makes sound to grab their attention.
- Make sure to not use a flash. This can cause cast shadows around your baby’s head.
- Position yourself so that the camera is parallel with your baby’s face.
- If you are using a phone camera, use live mode or burst mode so you can take multiple shots at once.
- Remember you might not get the right shot on the first go. You can always try again.
Printing a Baby Passport Photo
Once you have taken your passport photo the next step is to print. We actually got turned down with our home printed version. We recommend going to your local print shop or use a photo printing website specifically for passport photos. Getting the correct size is critical.